How Will I Know It Is Time?
We understand one of the most difficult decisions a pet owner can make is to know when to say goodbye. We are here to assist our clients as much as we can throughout this difficult process. Whether your pet has experienced a long-term illness or recent trauma, we are here to help you sort through the various medical options best suited for your family and your pet, including peaceful, humane euthanasia.
Euthanasia is a selfless decision that relieves the end of life pain and suffering of terminally ill or injured pets. To help guide you in this decision, we will answer all of your questions, discuss quality of life issues with you or offer guidance so you may make the right decision for your pet and your family.
We are often asked these questions:
- Is my pet suffering? We discuss what quality of life means for your pet and guide you as you monitor her quality of life. We are able to offer treatment and medications for some symptoms to achieve comfort and joy for your pet.
- How will I know when it is time? We provide all the facts you need to recognize symptoms, anticipate progression of disease, develop realistic expectations, and be the expert when it comes to your pet. We guide you in making the best decisions for you and your pet.
- What If It Is Too Soon–When Is The “Right” Time? Making end of life decisions for your beloved pet is a serious decision and a privilege. We have the experience and expertise to coach you to trust yourself and help you make difficult decisions as a family.
- How can I honor and preserve my pet’s memories? Together we will find the most appropriate and meaningful ways to honor the love and life you have shared, take care of the physical remains and preserve your pet’s life story.
When considering whether it is time, these tips may bring you clarity in your decision-making process:
- Every pet, illness and situation is different. There is no single rule that can be followed for when it is time to help your best friend “cross the rainbow bridge.” We will talk to you about your wonderful pet so that together we can do what is right for both you and your pet.
- Pets live in the moment. One of the most wonderful things about animals is how they embrace the present. Remember the joy he or she shows when you come home? Are they still enjoying the moment?
- When our pets are suffering, they don’t reflect on all the great days they have had before, or ponder what the future will bring. All they know is how they feel today. By considering this perspective, we can see the world more clearly through their eyes. Through their eyes, we can better understand the pain or suffering they may be experiencing, especially if they are not eating, drinking, walking or exhibiting any signs of suffering.
One of the best ways to know it is time is to assess your pet’s quality of life.